Skip to content
Advertisements

The World waits as the US Votes

November 3, 2012

By this time next week, in fact by Wednesday we will know the outcome of the US election.

To the outside world, the logical choice is Obama, and polls conducted outside the US confirm that Obama is indeed the international community’s favourite in this neck and neck presidential race.

However inside the freak show that is America, the polls show a decidedly different view.

Apparently many Americans have the misguided view that there is not much difference between Obama and Romney, a perception that could only exist inside the US.  Those who think there is little difference between the two would be wise to remember Gore vs Bush and the ensuing tragedy that followed that election.

Romney represents the conservative hard-right christians; consisting predominantly of angry white men.

According to a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, President Obama is beating his Republican opponent among black voters by a whopping 94 percent to 0 percent.

The problem for the Republicans is that their base is shrinking before its eyes.

The old “southern strategy” pioneered with such success by Richard Nixon, in which Republicans commandeered the white vote, often by playing on racial anxieties, worked wonders for decades. But now that white vote accounts for too small a share of the electorate: Romney is on course to win about 60% of it, but it’s still not enough. As the Republican senator Lindsey Graham so memorably put it: “The demographics race we’re losing badly. We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

The fact that the race is so close and Mitt Romney could well be President next week confirms that Americans shouldn’t be left in charge of their own destiny.

Right now, millions of apparently insane people are preparing to vote, armed with their incredibly inadequate understanding of “the rest of the world,” to appoint the most powerful man in the world, thereby affecting the rest of us.

Do us a favour you fat bastards and at least vote for Obama.

Advertisements
56 Comments leave one →
  1. public toilet permalink
    November 3, 2012 1:35 pm

😯

Donald Trump adds great credibility to the race for POTUS.

That cunning Obama. They won’t be able to convict him on treason because he isn’t technically a citizen. Kenyan, ya see.

Mitt, on the other hand, is a Great American Patriot guided by the Golden Book.

Go Mitt!

2. TB Queensland permalink
    November 3, 2012 1:56 pm

Winter IS coming!

3. Tom of Melbourne permalink
    November 3, 2012 9:41 pm

Typical of the USA to try to create a distraction on Cup Day.

4. armchair opinionator permalink
    November 3, 2012 10:24 pm

As the Republican senator Lindsey Graham so memorably put it: “The demographics race we’re losing badly. We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

No wonder the libs have imported their tea party politics and staffers over here then, plenty of targets 😉

5. Tom of Melbourne permalink
    November 5, 2012 3:51 pm

I’m barracking for Obama.

I used to dislike the US election system, but I’ve come around. It throws up higher quality candidates for leadership than the time server system in Australia.

We get to select leaders from the low quality gene pool that hang around in parliament for a decade or 3.

The US gets to choose from a vast array of candidates through the primaries. Their cabinet can be chosen from diplomats, former politicians, business people, academics.

It’s a great improvement on our system – choose between some failed suburban lawyers or some avaricious union hacks.

6. You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat permalink
    November 5, 2012 11:00 pm

What I find interesting is why do they vote on a Tuesday and how difficult some states make it so difficult to actually vote in some places. Hence 6 hour queues.

7. el gordo permalink
    November 6, 2012 7:20 am

Not sure I could hang around for six hours to vote….I take our Westminster system for granted.

8. TB Queensland permalink
    November 6, 2012 10:15 am

Your logic (or lack of it) is “unfknblvbl”, egg …

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I see James is doing a Farnham now too … its like ten little Indians around here … and ToM’s talking to himself again …

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That reminds me, ToM, if you really want to take a swing at, Wayne Swan, have a look at the new Private Health rebate changes … not very “ALP” at all …

9. el gordo permalink
    November 6, 2012 11:56 am

Normally, at this time of day, wally would have me laughing.

10. TB Queensland permalink
    November 6, 2012 12:11 pm

Normally, at this time of day, wally would have me laughing.

Normally? 😆 … laighing at him or with him? …

11. November 6, 2012 12:37 pm

I see James is doing a Farnham now too, he’s “The Voice”

12. armchair opinionator permalink
    November 6, 2012 2:21 pm

Did I really read on one of the threads here some “they are ganging up on me” accusations, surely I was imagining it! Really hypocritical IMO. Some are good at dishing out their ‘medicine’ to others, but extremely poor at taking any themselves.

Do men need to run and hunt in packs to feel secure? This subject is so relevant to what is happening in politics at the moment and the issue of current male behaviour [sexism, chauvinism and misogyny] in general.

How can the St Johns College perpetrators manage to take up all but two of the council positions, thumb their noses at any punishment and crow about their victory over the people who are trying to install change? The college old boy management insist on no punishments or expulsion [affect careers etc] while sprouting tradition and values?

There is something very, very wrong with the culture of the male elite and privileged and tony abbott is just one example of how far wealthy and elitist ‘old school tie’ networking takes people in life and career [and what values they are brought up with at home and continue to exhibit throughout life]. Not much merit involved. Thank goodness for the decent guys.

Destroy The Joint ‏@JointDestroyer
    Tony Abbott must think misogyny at St John’s College is all a joke. What alternative explanation is there? https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QYJO-Gjr4rg
    View video
    3h Destroy The Joint ‏@JointDestroyer
    Another revealing story from a woman at St John’s RT @Mamamia: She almost died. And they printed t-shirts to celebrate. http://bit.ly/R6Mcix
    Geraldine ‏@Fluffula
    These kids must have very powerful parents #lateline
    Retweeted by Destroy The Joint

Excellent understanding and :

They Had It Coming: Gillard and the misogynists:

…Since becoming prime minister, Gillard has been repeatedly attacked for her role in Kevin Rudd’s removal, by Liberals, by the Rudd camp and by journalists. The message is clear: she became prime minister illegitimately; then, when she became leader of a minority government through processes that were par for the course in a democracy, she’d lied her way through by negotiating on a carbon tax. The point has been made before: such vitriol has generally not been directed at men who have defeated a rival and reneged on a core policy…

13. armchair opinionator permalink
    November 6, 2012 2:23 pm

oops, forgot link:

They Had It Coming: Gillard and the misogynists:

14. armchair opinionator permalink
    November 6, 2012 2:30 pm

More thoughts:

How much do these ‘traditional values’ of male privilege corrupt, stain and taint every institution and system of governance in the joint.

How do we change things?

15. November 6, 2012 2:40 pm

Not sure I could hang around for six hours to vote

16. Ya Gonna Need a Bigger Boat permalink
    November 6, 2012 10:43 pm

Based on the Marketing Campaign Just who will America vote for ?

Bruce Springstein

or

A rasping Meatloaf with Clint talking to a Chair ?

Dear oh dear !

17. Ya Gonna Need a Bigger Boat permalink
    November 6, 2012 10:51 pm

The guys and girls named at St Johns have already screwed their careers before they even started them.

They will be googled as routine by HR Departments after being named in the Press. They’d be shitting bricks right now.

As far as the girl who lied about being a “freshman” when she was a 3 rd year student. Who would employ her after being exposed?

That’s justice enough

18. Sparta of Phoenix, AZ USA permalink
    November 7, 2012 2:37 am

Well another presidential election has come and my ballot cast…Again it has come down to the lesser of two evils with most Americans; not really thrilled to support either candidate…We plug our noses, look the other way and cast our vote…There are so many reasons not to vote for either candidate this election whether its Obama’s incompetence or Romney’s Chameleon like stance on everything…God help us, we are screwed with whomever…

My choice boiled down to results and although Obama has been descent on the foreign policy front (until Labia) I have not seen much to celebrate about the guy…He is just more hope and change with an abysmal record. Don’t really want to hear about what he inherited…Last time I checked he knew what he was getting into with a promise to “change things” and he simply hasn’t delivered. Romney, well I was not comfortable voting for the guy but from my stand point it couldn’t get any worse and I simply decided to bet on a guy with “real” credentials…Hope and Change now Forward, I think not; just “CHANGE” thank you…

19. TB Queensland permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:01 am

I simply decided to bet on a guy with “real” credentials

FMD! 🙄

Now why would a tax cheat want to be president?

20. Sparta of Phoenix, AZ USA permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:26 am

TB,

You don’t actually believe that do you? Fine, he is loaded and used every loophole to keep his own money but that hardly makes the guy a “tax cheat”…I doubt the IRS would have sat idly by if that were really the case…

21. TB Queensland permalink
    November 7, 2012 11:20 am

You don’t actually believe that do you?

OK, tax “avoider” … I mean, I get it, we all send our money overseas to tax havens … forgive me for questioning why a Über Kapitalist would want to be POTUS …

Silly of me, I know … good vote Sparta … well done … 🙄

I am struggling with … “real credentials” … though …

22. Tom of Melbourne permalink
    November 7, 2012 12:18 pm

So when do we get the result?

At least the system in the US throws up a couple of reasonable candidates. Good candidates here aren’t interested in being time servers and hacks.

We have a parliament that rewards time servers and partly lap dogs – and the most devious of them reaches the top job.

23. armchair opinionator permalink
    November 7, 2012 12:19 pm

Unblvble sparta, the romneys [and their mates] of the world create a huge GFC which has devastated world economies and you reckon obama should have fixed it in 4 yrs – give the guy a go!
    It sure as hell won’t get any better for ordinary folks with more taxcuts for the wealthy.
    I just don’t get it, the financiers create a global meltdown, they then have socialism belatedly resurrected to bail them all out which sends the governments broke and the only people who suffer austerity are the taxpayers and then the poor government who is forced to prop up the capitalist fools gets crucified by the people!

At least put the blame where it’s due.

24. Sparta of Phoenix, AZ USA permalink
    November 7, 2012 12:21 pm

“What always pisses me off, as an Australian, is how much fkn influence the POTUS has on MY fkn life and Idon’t get to vote for the dickhead!”

Well I can see your frustration there dude…In all honesty though, how has electing Obama made a difference on that front? How would Romney as president change or not change that outcome?

25. armchair opinionator permalink
    November 7, 2012 12:26 pm

Let’s hope so, although I think the old school tie network will ensure they don’t suffer too much of a penalty.

At least the system that creates the likes of the tony abbott’s has been named and shamed. Remind me how religion and tradition is a force for good!

26. Sparta of Phoenix, AZ USA permalink
    November 7, 2012 12:30 pm

“At least put the blame where it’s due.”

Kitty I am not sure you see the big picture here…If it were simply a “party” to blame this would be pretty clear cut but it isn’t. The roots of the housing bubble stem as far back as Carter and every presidency since…Even Obama felt removing Glass-Steagall was the catalyst in the meltdown…It is simplistic to blame a party on that one or a President…No president, Obama included could have radically changed things, only put policies in place to influence said change..He has subscribed to the tired Keynesian playbook and a leftist agenda and we got what we all predicted would be the result…Relax, the odds are strongly against Romney winning but Obama has nothing to offer but more “hope” by his own admission and plenty of handouts…

27. TB Queensland permalink
    November 7, 2012 12:39 pm

How would Romney as president change or not change that outcome?

I think, KL answered that better than I could, dude …

… plus its the history of Republican any right wing national leaders … they love money (certainly more than people) … and they love wars (certainly more than people) … there is an old adage that a war will stimulate the economy … and I can’t help thinking that the “adage” still lives in the heart of Republicans …I bet Republicans would love to have a royal family more than Democrats too … just sayin’

I’m retired BTW, so sharemarkets (although I have few shares now) and Wall St, rule my income/lifestyle … because markets affect ALL investments … (and you know about my couple of years government service in the seventies) …

28. armchair opinionator permalink
    November 7, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for that acknowledgement sparta. I see similar things happening here, we have really gone neoliberal crazed in this country since we all got globalised!

How can you have real change when the american public won’t have it? They are so captured by the corporate agenda.

I reckon I’d rather be hopeful of a change with obama who wants to see a better life for all. Seems that obama can never get anything past a hostile opposition of vested interests [from his own side as as well] I cannot see how people who have an ideology of making things easier for the wealthy, will make things better for the many. It’s a trickle up philosophy and none goes downward anymore.

The problem to me is that all governments [here in australia as well] conservative or progressive, are just puppets of the corporates and financiers, it’s time to really regulate and tax these people so that they are paying their fair share for the enormous profits they are making. More taxing and regulation of these profiteers and bigger government is the answer, not less IMO. A society caring for each other, not fierce competition for scraps between the slaves of capital.

29. TB Queensland permalink
    November 7, 2012 3:55 pm

Seems “hope – change – forward ” wins over “real credentials” in the US … a message there for Romney supporters – perhaps …

So what did Romney actually “promise” the people? Back to the Future … for free?

30. Tom of Melbourne permalink
    November 7, 2012 4:36 pm

Obama is admired internationally – more because of what he represents, than what he has achieved.

I don’t consider Romney to be dangerous, as some have characterised. But Obama’s win is a signal that mainstream progressives should beat conservatives.

Gillard and the union hacks/faceless men should learn that dishonesty isn’t seen as either mainstream or progressive.

31. Teapot of Boltsville permalink
    November 7, 2012 8:00 pm

I don’t consider Romney to be dangerous

32. scrambled egg permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:12 pm

el gordo told me he can’t come in to the office today because his friend is having a very bad day and he has gone to cheer his friend up

33. scrambled egg permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:17 pm

el gordo spent the day unicorn riding with his friend Mitt

34. Sparta of Phoenix, AZ USA permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:18 pm

So yes, another election in the books and 4 more years of the same…Like many Independents this was not a very emotional election for us. We knew what we had with Obama and what we didn’t have with Romney…

Unfortunately for the Republicans they have gotten progressively worst at explaining or reaching out to people in a larger sense…Simply yelling for lower taxes, in the middle of a recession, is not going to reach most people who are struggling (47% anybody). I happen to feel many of their ideas are good ones backed by reason and history vs. emotion; however, the voters seem to be more smitten with the latter during this volatile time…It was for all intents and purposes a “Republican Smack Down” with only the House remaining. This I feel was simply a conscious or unconscious way for voters to put some sort of road block in the way of possibly bad legislation to come but then again, not a lot of seats up for grabs…Anyway, FORWARD……

35. You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:27 pm

The one thing the Republicans need is compulsory voting so they won’t need to dwell or mention nutcase issues like Rape is Gods Will and abortion and gun ownership just to get their people motivated to vote.

Single women represent 25% of the American vote.

36. Waldorf Salad permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:30 pm

But of course they won’t ever have that type of voting.

But if you alienate the middle then forget it

37. You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:34 pm

And why the hell are republicans represented by the colour red and democrats in blue.

It should surely be the reverse

38. el gordo permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:36 pm

I have a secret admirer and Migs says its not him.

39. scrambled egg permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:39 pm

it is the color of our necks

40. scrambled egg permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:43 pm

I have a secret admirer and reb says its not him

41. el gordo permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:44 pm

he he

42. You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat permalink
    November 7, 2012 10:53 pm

At least he won the popular vote. So there is a bit of a mandate .

43. You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat permalink
    November 7, 2012 11:08 pm

The Fiscal Cliff looms and the USA will go over it.

It’s too late and too difficult now to get a deal together. The reps is even more hard line republican now

44. You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat permalink
    November 7, 2012 11:23 pm

Sparta I think in a turbulent world a majority of your fellow Americans simply felt more comfortable with the Devil they Know.

The Tea Party lurked in the dark corridors.

45. You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat permalink
    November 7, 2012 11:26 pm

Anyway so that’s the USA Republican versus Democrat second division match over.

The Premier League is due to kick off tomorrow in Beijing .

Can anyone speak Mandarin here ?

46. armchair opinionator permalink
    November 8, 2012 3:35 am

I read that ‘piece of work’ from your link T’boss, bolter must be very upset that the angry white men, the haters and the wealthy few have not won the day. Seems a lot of bile and factual untruths displayed in his opinion.

47. TB Queensland permalink
    November 8, 2012 12:01 pm

The Tea Party lurked in the dark corridors.

I’m sad to say they still “lurk” … none lost seats, to my knowledge …

Trump, trumped himself on Twitter …

Isn’t sedition still a crime of the state in the USA? Maybe that’s why he pulled some of his twits … the twit! Money doesn’t make you fkn smart … just another teary eyed Robber Baron … beaten by the people … tumbrill anyone? Why are the rightwhingers so nasty – especially in defeat … Romney, I read somewhere, refused to concede even when it was all over red rover! 😆

Bunch big, rich kids … and tantrums …

48. TB Queensland permalink
    November 8, 2012 1:06 pm

And you should always be careful what you wish for in politics …

Mohamed Talaat didn’t like the fact Christian music was being played at a party to promote interfaith harmony in the Egyptian town of Minya south of Cairo, so together with a group of like-minded Islamist hardliners, he showed up to put a stop to it.

49. Sparta of Phoenix, AZ USA permalink
    November 9, 2012 1:30 am

“Very decisive win sparta and like you I think the voters wanted to prevent another budget deadlock and all the associated nastiness.”

Well I am not sure what you’re on about with the “bile” thing but anyway…A win is a win but with half of the “VOTING” populous firmly against you I wouldn’t call it a decisive anything…This country is split down the middle, clearly…

50. Toot Toot Sparta permalink
    November 9, 2012 3:42 am

four more years of unicorn riding in phoenix

51. Toot Toot Sparta permalink
    November 9, 2012 3:50 am

Labia) I have not seen much, few women in phoenix

52. Toot Toot Sparta permalink
    November 9, 2012 3:56 am

he is loaded and used every loophole

53. Sparta of Phoenix, AZ USA permalink
    November 9, 2012 4:18 am

“he is loaded and used every loophole”

I see we have more hope and change visiting…It is funny that a person using a “tax credit” in the form of a “child/dependent” or “energy efficiency credit” etc isn’t seen as a cheat himself…Why would anybody feel the government has a right to your money a second time is beyond me…It is not enough they taxed you on the fruit of your initial labor fine but now want a cut of interest earned? I am a crook because I say no? Weird times we live in…

54. Toot Toot Sparta permalink
    November 9, 2012 7:07 pm

I see we have more ‘trickle down’ and ‘rich tax cuts’ visiting

55. Toot Toot Sparta permalink
    November 9, 2012 10:10 pm

call it a decisive

Go on say something, you'll feel better...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s