Rostrum: Melbourne Etiquette Edition
Etiquette. It’s a foreign concept in Queensland, and only familiar to NSW residents who live in Malcolm Turnbull’s electorate of Wentworth. However, here in the “World’s Most Liveable City,” good manners and general politeness reigns supreme.
So much so that our much admired Lord Mayor Robert Doyle, despite being a former Liberal MP, is held in high esteem amongst the local community for his staunch support of all things artistic, cultural, gay friendly and sophisticated (again, concepts that would be alien to anyone from Brisbane or the Gold Coast).
For the benefit of visitors who may not be familiar with the charm and sophistication of Melbourne, the Lord Mayor has kindly prepared a list of things that are generally regarded as “UnMelburnian.
LORD MAYOR ROBERT DOYLE’S THINGS THAT ARE UNMELBURNIAN:
1. Disparaging Melbourne
2. Not giving up your seat on a tram for the elderly, infirm or pregnant
3. Spitting and swearing in public
4. Pretending not to know the AFL Grand Final, the Australian Grand Prix, the Melbourne Cup or the Australian Open Final are happening today
5. Women dissing black
6. Men wearing ties with their top button undone
7. Men with bushranger beards wearing shoes without laces and socks
8. Not embracing the daggy
9. Not embracing the sophisticated
10. Grumpy, complaining old men like me
I’m sure we can think of a few others…